How to get the most out of your micropipette
The micropipette, if used correctly, is a fabulous tool for taking small volumes with great accuracy. For best technique, consider the following tips:
- Make sure your pipette is in good condition, and gets regularly calibrated (refer to your owner's manual for suggested time intervals)
- Choose the right pipette for the right job. E.g. For the Sentia device, a 100-1000 µl (0.1 mL - 1 mL) micropipette is adequate for the volume range to be covered. DO NOT use a pipette past its volume limits.
- DO use the correct pipette tips for your device and avoid roughly jamming them onto the pipette tip cone. Jamming tips on can break the shaft.
- DO keep your pipette clean to avoid contamination issues. Most pipettes can be cleaned externally with typical laboratory cleaning agents, soap or alcohol (refer to your owner's manual).
- Learn your plunger stops and good technique (stop 1 is used for aspiration/uptake and stop 2 for dispensing). *
- Practice using your pipette, ideally on water, prior to a first-time testing event.
* Correct pipetting technique instructions covered here.